Playing Poker Strategy
Playing poker with a strategy is essential, since poker is not a game of luck, but a game of skill with a small percentage of luck involved . But while the luck factor may be playing a certain role for a certain time, in the long term the better player will always have an edge. By learning the right playing poker strategy, you can become a winning player too! In our strategy sections, we show you basic poker strategy. To improve your game, read the articles in our strategy section (see menu above).
Short Summary of playing a winning poker strategy
- Tight Is Right - meaning that the first rule is a restrictive choice of starting hands is the basis for your playing poker strategy!
- Play Aggressive - if a hand is worth playing, raise more often than just call
- Cold Call (calling a raise before the flop) only with premium hands
- ALWAYS think about what your opponent might have - basing your playing poker strategy just on your own hand is a losing concept
- Know your own game - chose the games you are good at
- Check your own game from time to time - try to find leaks in your poker playing strategy that make you lose money
- Read articles and books about playing poker strategy, then use the tactics by integrating them into your poker game
- Manage your bankroll - do not play at levels that are too high for your bankroll - you should have at least 300 times the big bet for that limit in your bankroll
- Choose the poker room that fits your profile - if you are unsure where to play, you can't go wrong with rooms like these: Bet365 Poker - read review here; Party Poker - read review here and 888 Poker - read review here.
Real Money Poker playing strategy
Start with a bankroll that you can afford to lose. Divide that bankroll by 300 and then start at the level of Fixed Limit cash games you can afford. Example: your bankroll is $300 - you can start at $0,50/$1,00 Fixed Limit Cash Games. Careful - when you start playing No Limit Cash Games, you should have a bankroll of at least 3 times the amount you would need on Fixed Limit!
Devote at least as much time to studying the winning playing poker strategy, as to playing poker.
When your bankroll has grown to the point where you can proceed to the next higher level, do it. But be aware that on that level, playing strategy may be slightly different (very often, more aggressive).
Tournament playing poker strategy
When playing tournaments, there is a wide array of additional considerations that come to bear when playing a winning poker strategy. Drawing hands do not play as well in tournament situations, and getting the most out of your made hands is even more important here.
Next, adapting your game to the different phases of the tournament is essential. Once you are in the money, considering the money value of simply surviving one more hand becomes very important. Watching your opponents and their poker playing style throughout the tournament gives you valuable information for future reference.
To improve your poker skills, read our strategy articles. Bookmark them, and come back to re-read them frequently.